Job Title: Development and Communications Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Neighbors Together is a dynamic soup kitchen and social service center committed to ending hunger and poverty in the Ocean Hill, Brownsville and Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhoods of Brooklyn, three of the lowest-income areas in New York City. We serve 80,000 meals annually through our Community Café, connect hundreds of individuals and families to vital resources beyond food, and provide community organizing and leadership development to empower our members to advocate for hunger-ending public policies.
Now in a period of growth, Neighbors Together seeks a Development & Communications Manager to report directly to the Executive Director and work closely with the Board Development Committee in coordinating the organization’s fundraising efforts. The Development & Communications Manager will be responsible for supporting and coordinating multiple fundraising campaigns and events, and communicating with individual donors, foundation program officers and corporate funders. The Development & Communications Manager will work in concert with the Board Development Committee as well as with other volunteers and staff in order to increase Neighbors Together’s financial sustainability through foundation and corporate grants, events and major gifts. The Development & Communications Manager should maintain strong relationships with donors and cultivate new relationships with potential partners in our mission to end hunger and poverty.
- Support the Executive Director and Board of Directors in creating and implementing an organization-wide development strategy and growth plan
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individual, corporate and foundation partners
- Develop an integrated communications program that includes comprehensive messaging across
all print, web and outreach materials
- Expand individual donor program through direct appeals, e-newsletters, social media outlets
and other marketing opportunities
- Manage event planning committees, working with board and staff to plan fundraising events,
including the production of Neighbors Together’s annual gala and smaller cultivation events
- Support the creation of new grant proposals while overseeing existing grantor correspondence,
including the donor acknowledgement process
- Maintain comprehensive fundraising calendar, ensuring that all deadlines and targets are met
- Support the identification of fundraising & solicitation training resources for board members,
staff and volunteers as needed
- Oversee donor database, ensuring accurate records and donor information
- Actively participate in organizational planning with 9-person staff
- Minimum 3 years of fundraising and development experience in the nonprofit sector, with a strong track record managing fundraising activities to successfully meet targets and deadlines
Experience supporting donor relationships, including experience in preparing proposals, reports, and presentations
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
Exceptional organization and project management skills, with the ability to plan effectively,
meet all deadlines, and coordinate others’ involvement within a dynamic and fast-paced setting
- Proficiency in web content management, social media, and e-marketing tools; experience with
- Familiarity with the New York philanthropic community
- Flexible approach, with the ability to be successful in both independent and collaborative efforts
within a highly dynamic organization
- Demonstrated interest in social justice and empowerment of low-income communities
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s preferred
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Denny Marsh at: http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1600000ijkJ7&tSource=. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Neighbors Together offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Neighbors Together is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers
Neighbors Together has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Development and Communications Manager. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 700 searches at 275 organizations in 33
states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country.
Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.