Job Title: Housing Campaigns Manager
Reports to: Director of Organizing & Policy
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours/week
Neighbors Together is a dynamic community-based organization committed to ending hunger and poverty in the Ocean Hill, Brownsville and Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhoods of Brooklyn, three of the lowest-income areas in New York City. Our dedicated 12-person staff works closely to serve 80,000 meals annually through our Community Café, connect hundreds of individuals and families to vital resources beyond food, such as housing and job training, and engage our members in community organizing and advocacy in city-wide and state-wide housing justice campaigns.
Neighbors Together seeks a self-motivated, outgoing Campaign Manager to work closely with our Community Action Program (CAP) Director to run current campaigns, maintain relationships and programs with partner organizations and conduct outreach, base building, training, education and leadership development among our members. The Housing Campaigns Manager will be responsible for membership involvement in city and state campaigns and coalitions working on issues related to our mission of ending hunger and poverty.
The Housing Campaigns Manager will provide leadership development training and popular education on the causes of homelessness, including systemic racism, and will advance Neighbors Together’s housing justice campaigns with members. The Housing Campaigns Manager will co-facilitate these meetings and activities with Member Leaders, and implement leadership development trainings throughout the year.
The responsibilities of the Housing Campaigns Manager include but are not limited to:
- Co-facilitate campaign meetings with leaders to provide updates on campaign developments and provide political education, structures for campaign planning, decision making and member feedback.
- Facilitate Leadership Development Training Programs with core CAP leaders, using Neighbors Together’s training curriculums. These courses are designed for our most active members to provide leaders with more in-depth training on key organizing skills, coupled with direct experience working on campaigns.
- Supervise Neighbors Together’s Community Organizing Apprenticeship program. Participating leaders will receive a stipend to work on one of Neighbors Together’s campaigns, while growing their skills and gaining real world experience in grassroots community organizing.
- Conduct outreach and base-building to increase member participation in Neighbors Together’s organizing efforts.
- Identify and develop member leaders through one-on-ones, Neighbors Together’s Leadership Development Training series, campaign meetings, and other forms of member engagement.
- Develop effective policy advocacy, communications and research strategies that strengthen member driven campaigns.
- Represent Neighbors Together in coalition spaces, with elected officials, at legislative hearings, with media, and in other key spaces.
- Maintain updated statistics about member involvement in CAP using our online databases.
- Collaborate with Neighbors Together staff to provide holistic support to all members.
- Actively participate in organizational planning and racial equity training with Neighbors Together staff.
Skills, Abilities & Qualifications:
- 2 years previous experience working as a community organizer with low-income people preferred.
- Prior experience managing/participating in coalitions, and representing the organization in coalition spaces.
- Prior experience working with people with mental illness, substance abuse, homelessness and history of incarceration preferred.
- Outgoing personality and ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to manage diverse projects simultaneously.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills and self-motivation.
- Positive, proactive and personable team player.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Strong self-starter, flexible and able to problem solve creatively.
- Experience with social media and digital communication.
- Special interest in building power among low-income people of color to fight for social, economic, and racial justice.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and some weekends.
Neighbors Together offers a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance. Employees receive 15 days of vacation in the first year of employment and 20 days of vacation annually thereafter, 10 sick/personal days, 10 paid annual holidays, and religious holiday observance days. Additionally, the organization closes for one paid week in the summer as well as one paid week around the winter holiday season. Neighbors Together offers professional development and service hours for all our employees.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to:
Amy Blumsack, Director of Organizing & Policy
In your cover letter please describe your experience organizing with low-income communities, your organizing philosophy, and your past experience managing campaigns and coalitions. Cover letters that do not specifically address these three points will not be considered. Please include “Housing Campaigns Manager” in the subject line. Neighbors Together is an equal opportunity employer, and encourages people of color, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, women, and those who have experienced homelessness to apply.